High-pressure laminates or HPL sheets are a versatile surfacing solution and one of the most preferred materials in the interior design industry. Whether it is about transforming dull home decor or embellishing the appearance of a retail outlet, high-pressure laminates are a perfect fit across industries that not only help enhance the aesthetics of the interior but also stand the test of time. HPL sheets are an economical alternative to embellishing your interiors. Continuing on the topic, read on as we discuss the ins and outs of high-pressure laminates.
Used for a spectrum of applications, high-pressure laminates are among the top picks for interior designers and architects to enhance the ambiance of any interior space. When it comes to surfacing materials, HPL sheets are considered to be one of the most durable options. They also boast fire resistance, low VOC emission, and low price per sheet, making them good value for money.
How are HPL sheets made?
HPL sheets are widely used across residential and commercial spaces, allowing a wide range of applications ranging from furniture to cabinet panels to countertops. The broad range of design options, exceptional durability, and other attributes stem from HPL’s “composition” and “process of manufacturing”.
High-pressure laminates are composed of various layers of paper and resins. The materials include:
- Kraft Paper: Also known as “brown paper”, kraft paper forms the basis of the stability and strength of HPL sheets
- Thermosetting Resins: Thermosetting resins such as phenolic resins (made from phenol) and melamine resins are low-viscosity liquids that help bind the different layers of Kraft paper and give laminates antimicrobial properties.
- Decorative Paper: This is used to enhance the aesthetics of HPL sheets. In certain cases such as digital cases, the layer of decorative paper allows customizability to get the choice of image imprinted
- Tissue Paper: This is the topmost layer of HPL sheets and is responsible for providing the laminates with their iconic gloss
HPL sheets are made from a unique 5-step manufacturing process:
- Impregnating the Kraft Paper: Kraft paper is soaked in a solution of phenolic resin, which makes it stiff and brittle.
- Instant Drying: Once the Kraft paper is treated with phenolic resin, it is then instantly dried using hot air. The sheets then proceed to the thin-slicing stage.
- Stacking/Layering: In this step, the layer of Kraft paper is placed under a decorative paper, followed by a “textured plate” to keep the layers in their place.
- Thermosetting: In this process, the sheets are compressed under a hydraulic press using high temperature and pressure (>1,000 PSI).
- Applying Finishing Touches: This is the final stage of the high-pressure laminate manufacturing process. Excess paper on the edges of the sheets is trimmed for a clean finishing touch.
Common Applications & Attributes
High-pressure laminates are renowned for their exceptional versatility. HPL sheets are flexible yet stable enough to be applied to vertical and horizontal surfaces. From kitchen countertops and backsplashes to countertops in retail outlets, HPL sheets enjoy a whole range of applications. They are available in endless shades, textures, and finishing, and can be customized to meet different surfacing requirements such as residential spaces, offices, art galleries, and shopping complexes. Anti-microbial and fire-resistance properties also make high-pressure laminate sheets ideal for hospitals, schools, commercial & residential kitchens, and the manufacture of toilet cubicles.
About Greenlam Laminates
With an annual production capacity of 19.02 million sheets, Greenlam Laminates is among the top three laminate producers across the globe. We leverage state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities to deliver some of the finest high-pressure laminates for both residential and commercial spaces. To discuss your requirements, give us a call on our toll-free number 1800-833-0004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can download the app “Colourama” by Greenlam Industries on Google Playstore and App Store to explore our diverse catalogue and place an order.